ON THE PATH TO A CURE
Beta-Cell is developing an innovative long-term therapeutic solution for patients with diabetes. It manufactures a cell therapy product, called BetaGraft, which can replace the lost pancreatic beta cells and mimic their biologic properties. In animal models, BetaGraft shows superior results when compared to human cell transplants that are currently used in clinics. When confirmed in clinical trials, BetaGraft will be considered as cure for diabetes with profound impact on everyday life of millions of patients.
Highly pure insulin- and glucagon-producing cells are prepared by a proprietary isolation and purification method (BetaPrep), and then formulated in a gel. These cell factories are implanted subcutaneously where they regulate and normalize blood glucose levels with sustained adaptation to the metabolic needs of the body. BetaGraft cell factories are manufactured as novel cell units, quality controlled for reproducible efficacy and safety.
BetaGraft’s therapeutic potential builds on a solid basis:
- Higher and longer efficacy in animals than human islet cell grafts currently used in patient
- Release of porcine isulin with similar structure and effect as human insulin
- Readily available and scalable source of cells
- Product robustness and consistency
- Safe and minimally invasive implantation
- Adaptation of the implant to each patient’s need